Monday, February 7, 2011

Over 50 miles, a quandry and awkward gym song

Quandry-

This past Saturday after my run, I talked to one of the Lifetime trainers about getting a heart monitor for my runs. I have a feeling that the ones on the treadmills are about as useless as men's nipples. Turns out I was right. They are wildly inaccurate.

I asked for a price and the trainer said that the least expensive one was about $150 and the most expensive around $250. She also said that I'm probably not breathing right and that I would need to do a breathing test so I can burn calories more efficiently. She also said that they would hook the test results into the watch so I could train better. I asked her how much that was. She said that the mask was $40 (they don't want to reuse masks) and the test would be $100...$390-490?




I'm thinking to myself that there is no way in hell am I doing that. I looked up some heart monitor watches online and they run anywhere from $40-$250. But I got to thinking about my breathing. Am I doing it wrong? Am I doing more work than I should or stressing my body out too much?

Awkward Gym Song-

Lifetime Gym puts on a decent workout mix. The music isn't too loud and generally goes with the workouts. Although, I could do without No Doubt's "Don't Speak". That's not what I would consider workout music. I could also do without the Black Eyed Peas...ugh...talk about ubiquitous...just break up already.

Now the music filters throughout the building, including the locker rooms. So you can find yourself toe tapping to the whatever music is playing. An interesting song that is great for a workout but is weird to hear in a gym locker room that I heard the other day is...



"Juxtaposition" for the win!!!

I also saw a guy blow dry his downstairs while lifting his towel today...I'm not using any hair drying equipment in the locker room...

On to the stats!!

I've ran three times since last Wednesday:

February 5th

2 miles 23:56
5k 35:36
3.5 miles 41:15

February 7th

2 miles 22:52
5k: 33:29
4.5 miles 48:59

February 8th

2 miles 21:28


Total miles ran so far: 51.0 (10.20%)
Total time: 09:48:21
Total days so far: 39 (10.68%)

No comments:

Post a Comment